The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc. was established in 1930 on the campus of Howard University in Washington DC and was formed as a permanent organization for the is currently composed of nine, International fraternities and sororities commonly referred to as the “Divine Nine.” NPHC promotes interaction through forums, meetings and other mediums for the exchange of information and engages in cooperative programming and initiatives through various activities and functions. The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was “Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.” Early in 1937, the organization was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois and became known as “The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated.” -Adopted from The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated website.
The UConn National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) was chartered on May 29, 1992 and reactivated in September 2007. It governs the historically African-American fraternities and sororities. Its purpose is to create and maintain high standards in the life of fraternities and sororities; perpetuate constructive fraternity and sorority relationships; foster an understanding of the structure and method of operation among the affiliate organizations; address, coordinate, and develop action strategies of mutual concern to the affiliate organizations; and serve as the conduit for such action plans as may be developed. All 9 organizations have had a presence at UConn however only those that are currently recognized by the OFSL are included below.
2018 Executive Council
|Chair (President)||Keith Guerrant|
|Vice Chair (VP)||Ashley Dyer|
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
- Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.
- Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.