National Hazing Prevention Week (NHPW) is part of a national initiative held at numerous universities across the country. The national focus for the past few years has been bystander responsibility and giving students the skills to stand up when they see hazing around them. Our student employees work with multiple partners to plan various events taking place on the University of Connecticut campus during the week to raise awareness of the issue, educate students, faculty, and staff about hazing alternatives, empower students to stand up against hazing, and show a united University community against hazing.
UConn will be hosting its thirteenth annual Hazing Prevention Week from September 19-23, 2022.
Take the National Hazing Prevention Pledge
Sponsored by HazingPrevention.org
It’s easy to say you’re “against hazing,” but are you willing to tell the world that you won’t tolerate it? If so, take the Hazing Prevention Pledge. Sign it now. nationalhazingpreventionweek.com/take-the-pledge.
Hazing Prevention Institute Resources
Learn about ways to support and promote National Hazing Prevention Week on your campus or with your organization. This guide offers slides from presentations presented at the 2021 HPO Hazing Prevention Institute. View the Resource Guide.
#HuskiesDon’tHaze Banner September 19th-23rd Union Street
- All week the office will have a table set up on Union Street (the main hallway in the Student Union) where all students can either sign or write why they don’t haze on a hand that will be added to our awareness banner. There will be plenty of freebies as well! The banner will hang in the Student Union Cafeteria for a predetermined amount of time once National Hazing Prevention Week has concluded. This is in effort to keep the hazing prevention spirit alive outside of the week of awareness.
NHPW Speaker: Evelyn Piazza – September 19th from 7:30pm – 8:30pm at Student Union Theater
- The parents of Tim Piazza, who died as a result of a fraternity hazing ritual, will be coming to campus to speak to students regarding Tim’s story and the importance of putting an end to hazing. This event will be required for all second year members of Greek organizations, meaning that this is their second year being members of their chapter.
NHPW Panel Discussion: September 21st from 12pm-1pm in 304B
- We will be hosting a Panel Discussion on Wednesday, September 21st from 12-1pm in 304B in the Student Union. Panelists will comprise of both Student Leaders and Professional staff pertaining to relevant departments affected or involved in Hazing. The Panel will answer and address questions/concerns sent in by the community. Students can submit questions through our google form. There will be ample space for seating and community members are encouraged to attend and listen.
- This event can count for EoE credit as a Program of Choice for the education requirement if attended by 75% of your chapter.
NHPW Kickball Tournament: September 22nd from 12pm-4pm Great Lawn
- We will be hosting a Kickball Tournament for members of Fraternity & Sorority life! This will be at the Great Lawn starting at 12pm. We will have one team per Council and sign-up forms will be distributed by the Council Presidents. The winning team will win a Pizza Party at the Fraternity & Sorority Development Office after the tournament.
Follow our social media @uconncfsd all next week to learn more about hazing prevention information and resources.