Who’s Chihuly

At a young age I came to appreciate art in the form of blown glass when my parents built our house in East Lyme, CT. I accompanied them on many trips to lighting and hardware stores to choose out the lighting fixtures for the house;  along the way I came across many hand blown sconces, chandeliers, and pendants- they always had an affinity for Murano. Furthermore my mom would go on business trips across sea to Venice, Florence, and Rome, and would always bring back stories of artisans who crafted and mastered the art of blowing glass.

I remember explicitly the first time I went to Las Vegas and stood in the Bellagio Lobby, that hotel with the synchronized fountains, and staring up the ceiling covered in a myriad of beautifully colored blown glass poppies the size of large discs. The artist that was commissioned to create this installation is known as Dale Chihuly, who is quite debatably the most famous glass sculpture artist alive. His iconic works includes towers of blown glass bulbs protruding from a single center varying in all colors in the spectrum. Dale Chihuly’s works has also been showcased in the MoMA, Guggenheim, and the Met. He also has a museum located in Seattle, WA.

Also, a Chihuly piece that people from Connecticut would instantly recognize is the glass sculpture in the middle of Mohegan Sun Casino. Many don’t realize that this was a commissioned Chihuly piece.

Pictures are shown below.

dale-chihuly-bellagio Chihuly-sculpture-a-glittery-greeting-to-Glass-Pavilion-Art-Museum-site-opens-August-27-2 Dale_Chihuly_Mille_Fiori_2 Sea-Blue-and-Green-Tower ikebana-boat ececbdcc6255f53c4a1e7772d5d1b98e